Characters From The Book
“In Dependence” UTME
Candidates Need To Know
It is important to take note of some
characters in a book while reading especially
if you are going to be tested on that book.
Concerning the book “In Dependence” that
UTME candidates will be tested on, we have
compiled a list of important characters in the
book. JAMB may equally ask questions based
on this. So do well, to get your self familiar
with these characters
SOME IMPORTANT CHARACTERS OF THE
BOOK “IN DEPENDENCE”
1. Omotayo Oluwakayode Ajayi also known as
2. Inspector Adeniyi Ajayi : Tayo’s father who
was once a court servant and an interpreter
in the native administration before joining the
3. Mr Jonathan Richardson: Father of
4. Mrs Elizabeth Richardson: Mother of
5. Mr Edward Maximilian Barker: The one who
welcomed Omotayo prior to the letter given
to Tayo by Mr Faircliff.
6. Headmaster Faircliff: Tayo’s Headmaster.
7. Mr Clark: Tayo’s Mathematics Teacher.
8. Mr Blackburn: British empire history
9. Bisi and Remi: Siblings of Tayo.
10. Modupe: Tayo’s Lover before going to
Oxford at age 19.
11. Uncle Bolu also known as Uncle B: Tayo’s
uncle who loved drinking and women. And
women also loved him in return.
12. Uncle Oluwakayode Ogundipe: A Big Man
in Lagos, who lived in a luxurious, a senior
army officer before leaving for France to
study Engineering. He was able to meet
13. Helen: Uncle Kayode’s wife.
14. Aunty Bayo: Former girl friend of Uncle
15. Mr Lekan Olajide from Ogbomoso on a
16. Mr Ibrahim Mohammed from Kaduna on a
17. Mrs Isabella Barker: An attractive young
Italian woman who preferred to be called
18. Mr Ike Nwade: A student of History.
19. Mr Bolaji Ladipupo: A Law student.
20. Miss Christine Arinze: A student of
Modern language who later became Tayo’s
girlfriend but had a misunderstanding with
Tayo because he didn’t want a longtime
relationship. She later on had Ike has her
boyfriend. She died of drug overdose
21. Christopher Okigbo: A poet and
22. Venessa Richardson”aka Moremi by Tayo
to show her fighting spirit”: Tayo’s white
23. Gita from Kenya: An English student.
24. Pat: A Physicist.
25. Jane: A Friend to Venessa a physicist
26. Charlie and Mehul: (whites)
27. Simon: The president of west African
28. Francis: From Ghana who was with the
idea that independence came far too early for
29. Maynes Keynes: Venessa’s grandpa was
in the colonial service Juma and Saratu? Are
30. Lord Lugard: was once the governor of
Hong kong before coming to Nigeria and he
also became our governor in the year 1914
31. Nancy Murdoch and Mr Murdoch.
32. Uncle Tony: who had s*x with Jane.
33. Madam Pagnole.
34. Chinua Achebe: things fall apart and No
longer at Ease.
35. Nkrumah: The first president of Ghana
and Senghor of Senegal Kenyatt.
36. Tunde: the cousin of Tayo who works in
37. Yusuf Abubakar: who works in the
hospital. HE believed white women were only
meant for friendship but not for marriage with
his genuine reasons.
38. Joyce: Yusuf’s white girlfriend who said
he hasn’t heard Yusuf speak Nigerian before
and then Yusuf replied her: you daft one, no
one speaks Nigerian.
39. Mr and Mrs winter: across the road at
40. Joy Williams: The black WOMAN Yusuf
got married to.
41. Anais Nin: The first British erotic writer.
42. Nigerian coup d’etat and Biafran war.
43. Salamatou: an hairstylist in Dakar,
Senegal who died in a motor accident
44. Jean Luc: A French who had promised to
marry Salamatou but ran away after he got to
know she was pregnant.
45. Miriam: A nurse, whom treated Tayo’s
father and got pregnant for Tayo. Got married
to Tayo and gave birth to Kemi.
46. Kemi: Daughter of Tayo and Miriam
47. President Shagari.
48. Mr Akin: A carver.
49. Wole Soyinka: Okri the Booker.
50. Aureol: SHIPPING COMPANY.
51. Dogun Dutse Mobile station.
52. Samir: From Bradford.
53. Suleiman: Salamatou’s son hence
Venessa’s adopted son. A Muslim he became
and a drop out from Cambridge.
54. Abdou: The driver who was taken Tayo to
the airport before an accident occur.
55. Laurent: Kemi’s boyfriend.
56. Danjuma: The gardener.
57. Professor John Harris: He is the man
whom Kemi introduced to his father from the
All the best.