Nigerian students have resolved to embark on a nationwide protest, as the two-week ultimatum issued the Federal Government by student leaders on school re-opening elapses.
Leaders of National Association of University Students (NAUS), National Association of Polytechnic Students (NAPS) and National Association of College of Education Students (NANCES), at the end of their virtual meeting yesterday, said the protest would hold tomorrow.
The student leaders said they would converge at the Federal Ministry of Education, Abuja, while state coordinators would march to the Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ) secretariats in their various states.
NANCES president, Mahmud Abubakar, told The Guardian: “The agitation is still one, which is the re-opening of our campuses. We just want to hear from the Minister of Education, Adamu Adamu, the date for resumption, as we are more open to the deadly coronavirus at home than on campus, and an idle mind is the devil’s workshop.”
On his part, NAPS president, Sunday Asuku, said the protest would be peaceful and that security agencies and the International Human Right Commission (IHRC) had been notified.
“It is so disheartening, appalling and unethical knowing that our government doesn’t place priority on education. We all know that COVID-19 is real, but extremely blown out of proportion in Nigeria. Our institutions have been placed under lock and key for good six months with the claim of preventing the spread of COVID-19 on campuses. As much as we appreciate the government for the acclaimed love, we condemn in totality the continued closure of our institutions.
“We understand that COVID-19 couldn’t halt the electoral process in Edo and Ondo states, even with the multitude coverging during rallies. We are tired of guidelines; reopen our school now,” Asuku stated.
NGstudents Team Cares…..