Various schools have annouced resumption dates, including universities, polytechnics and college of education, so it’s wise to know what’s happening. It’s been over 6 months since the emergence of Covid-19 which made students to stay at home. However over time, their stay at home has gradually become frustrating seeing that market places, churches and other establishments have been allowed to open.
However, I urge everyone to remember that ASUU had embarked on an indefinite strike before the virus emerged. The academic staff union of universities went on a strike as the government refused to meet their demands. And now, that the minister of education Adamu Adamu, has announced the resumption of all schools, it’s left to see what ASUU will do next.
Upon the announcement of the minister for all tertiary Institutions to resume, the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) has insisted that classrooms won’t be open until their demands are meet. According to the Union’s president, he said “Federal government have the right to reopen every university in the country but they should know that lecturers also have the right to go back to classes or not. No salaries, no going back to classrooms”.
However, while ASUU have refused to resume, some other universities, polytechnics and college of educations have announced their resumption dates. Here is a list of schools that have announced their resumption dates…
1. Sokoto state University (12th October)
2. Abdul Gusau Polytechnics (12th October)
3. Kaduna State University (19th October)
4. Federal polytechnics, Kaura Namoda, Zamfara state (12th October)
5. Al-Qalam university (19th October, all students are to pay COVID-19 fees of N5000)
6. Yaba College of Technology (19th October)
7. Kwara State college of health (Returning students: 12th October while Fresh students: 20th October)
8. Kwara State University (12th October)
9. Airforce Institute of Technology, Kaduna state (12th October)
10. Institute of Management and Technology, Enugu state (12th October).
11. Kebbi state University of Science and Technology (19th October)
12. Waziri Umaru Polytechnics, Birnin-Kebbi (12th October)
13. Edo state Polytechnics ( 9th October)
14. Federal Polytechnics Offa, Kwara State (12th October)
15. Federal Polytechnics, Idah (10th October)
Who do you think should be blamed for the delay in resumption, ASUU or the federal government? And do you think it’s better for all schools to just resume next year?
Become a Student Volunteer Journalist…